Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Weary Gardener The Weary Gardener is offline

Default The Bird Box Saga

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
I started to remove the lid and noticed that a loud buzzing noise started
issuing from the box!!!
Needless to say I descended the ladder rather smartly and left well alone.
So what has taken over the bird box? I have had wasp issues before and
know how they behave - haven't seen any of those.
Despite frequent glances, I have yet to see any flying insects entering or
leaving.
Anyone know-or-can-suggest the likely culprit?

Solitary bees? (But not sure how that should then be a plural :-) )

Hornets are a protected species.