Old 08-06-2010, 08:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
MICHELLE H. MICHELLE H. is offline

Default Scotts Lawn Fertilizer Question??

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can explain this to me. Is there something up
with "Home Depot" and the "Scotts Company" with false bag weight
contents or something??

Here is whats going on. Our house is on 0.11 acres of land, which is
what about 4,700 square feet? This does not include the city owned
treebelt in front of our house, which is about 50 feet long and 6 feet
wide, or the grassy island with a telephone/utility pole, between our
driveway and our neighbors driveway, which is about 6 feet long and 6
feet wide. So including all that, there is probably roughly 5.000 square
feet or so.

Anyway, last year, when we put down the "Scotts Turf Builder Lawn
Fertilizer with Plus 2 Weed Control", that we bought from "Home Depot",
it took 2 bags ( 14.29 pounds each according to the bag ). with the
spreader setting on 5 1/2 like the bag says, to do our entire lawn.

Well this year, we bought a 5,000 square foot bag of "Scotts LawnPro
SUPER Turf Builder Lawn Fertilizer with Plus 2 Weed Control", and this
bag was 17.24 pounds ( according to the bag ), and we had enough to do
the entire lawn with the 1 bag!!

We bought the "Super Turf Builder" at our local hardware store, because
#1 our local hardware store is only like 10 minutes away, compared to
driving 25+ minutes to our closest "Home Depot", and #2 after the
mail-in rebate, they were the same price.

"Home Depot" has the "Regular" Turf Builder for $14.99 a bag, and the
"Super" Turf Builder at the hardware store was $17.99 a bag, with a $3
dollar mail-in rebate.

So my question is, why is it that with the drop spreader setting both
set at 5 and 1/2 both this year and last year, and doing the exact same
areas, why is it that last year we used 2 bags that were 14.29 pounds
each, of the "Regular" Turf Builder to do our lawn, but this year, it
only took 1 bag of the "Super" Turf Builder, which was 17.24 pounds.

At first I thought that maybe the "Super" Turf Builder has bigger
granules, and so it comes out at a slower rate?? But they look the same
size as last year??

Could it be because the the "Super" Turf Builder is 29-2-3, and the
"Regular" Turf Builder is 28-1-4. Does that have to do with how big the
granules are, and how much comes out??

Or is "Home Depot" and "Scotts" in cohoots together or something, and
lying about the weight of the bags, so that customers have to spend more
money and buy more!?

The "Scotts" bags from "Home Depot say the weight of the bag is 14.29
pounds, but maybe it's really only 8 pounds or something!?

Because why is it that last year it took 2 bags of the "Regular" Turf
Builder 14 pound bags, which is over 28 pounds to do our entire lawn,
but this year 1 bag of the 17.24 pound "Super" Turf Builder, from the
hardware store was enough??

Thanks!