Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_2_] Broadback[_2_] is offline

Default Planting out Leeks

Alan Johnson wrote:
Pete wrote:
I normally grow leeks from seeds sown myself in a tray; then when
ready to plant out, we separate each plant and plant out without any
soil attached.

This year, the seeds failed to germinate and I bought a number of leek
plants (plugs). Should I plant these out as plugs or remove all the
soil first?

Jeanne

I usually have a mix of the two, self-sown and bought. I don't remove
any soil when planting out. They have an established root system in
their plugs/trays and you may damage the roots unnecessarilly, as Bob
points out. Having said that, I find leeks generally very robust in this
regard.

Regards

It is a plant that always amazes me. You make a hole in the ground, trim
the roots down, drop the leek into the hole then fill with water. I have
never had one fail yet. I only wish all plants were as amenable!