Old 09-06-2010, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please help identify my shrub

news
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , sue_marie
writes

Thanks Stewart. I didn't think I could post any pics - when I
registered there was a set of rules including one which seemed to say
'if you post photos they will be removed immediately'.
Anyway, for what they're worth, I've posted them now. I don't think
it's a double flower, not like a camellia, and the petals aren't waxy at
all. The flower 'buds' started off a very pale green, then turned white
and looked just like single pearls before opening, directly on the stem,
no stalk as such.
It's evergreen.

Might be my eyesight but it looks vaguely like a chaenemole, (japanese
Quince) from the leaves etc. and the flowers. Good shrub against wall
grows to about 6 or 7 foot high but does tend to sucker.

For googling images for comparison use Chaenomeles. Chaenomeles speciosa
'Moorloosei' and Chaeonomeles speciosa 'Nivalis' are the more commonly
found white varieties.

But I couldn't make out sufficient detail for an identification.
Chaenomeles is plausible - probably a better guess that the Eucryphia I
was wondering about. (Eucryphia flowers have 4 petals.)

According to the OP, it's evergreen. Are there evergreen Chaenomeles? I
thought they were all deciduous. And I can't see any thorns.

I couldn't ID it from the photo. Your comment about Eucryphia intrigued me.
Could it be a semi-double Eucryphia?

--

Jeff