Old 09-06-2010, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Lilac: taking control of

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Lilac that's never been pruned? How do you even go about working out which
third of the stems need doing. Is it best to take out weedy growth first
then 1/3 rest of stems? Looked it up in books but though they say in a
cavalier manner, that you just pruned after flowering and take out a third
it doesn't help much if you can't see the wood for the trees! Can't find
anything much on the smaller rarer lilac
either.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have the same problem. I inherited some when I moved here and they are
out of control.
Tina