Old 09-06-2010, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Almost Chicken Shit, Black Hen

It's hard for me to get far enough out in the country to get real
chicken manure. I did just get a bag of Black Hen which claims to be all
organic derived from composted chicken manure and 2 3 2.

The 232 makes me think there is more to it than just chicken manure,
otherwise I would think this would have a lot more N.

I've been told to be careful of applying chicken manure too close to
growing tomato plants as it will burn them. But this seems like a more
muted product.

Any precautions? I'd like to give a sock to the garden, I understand
that cucurbits are heavy feeders and I'd like to move beyond the pricey
fish oil emulsion.

First cukes and a summer (straight neck) squash are on the way, the
leaves are monsters (over a foot square). Just one small tomato, but
many flowers. Nothing yet on the cantalopes and honey dews but the vines
look good. Watermellon lagging (2' or so of vine), but I think OK. So
far, better than last year.

Jeff