Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_2_] Broadback[_2_] is offline

Default Planting out Leeks

AriesVal wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 15:49:49 +0100, Bill P. wrote:

wrote in message

It is a plant that always amazes me. You make a hole in the ground, trim
the roots down, drop the leek into the hole then fill with water. I have
never had one fail yet. I only wish all plants were as amenable!

Thats the way my grandad taught me to plant leeks.

and that's the way my father taught me too. I now save all the tubes from
toilet rolls and kitchen paper, and after dibbing a hole for leeks I insert
a cardboard tube before planting the leek which helps the white part of the
leek swell and develop without soil falling in and cramping its growth.

I like the sound of that AriesVal, I'll try that this year.