Old 10-06-2010, 04:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tony Sivori Tony Sivori is offline

Default Scotts Lawn Fertilizer Question??

MICHELLE H. wrote:

I am hoping that someone can explain this to me. Is there something up
with "Home Depot" and the "Scotts Company" with false bag weight
contents or something??

snipped for brevity

The "Scotts" bags from "Home Depot say the weight of the bag is 14.29
pounds, but maybe it's really only 8 pounds or something!?

Highly unlikely. People would notice, quickly.

Because why is it that last year it took 2 bags of the "Regular" Turf
Builder 14 pound bags, which is over 28 pounds to do our entire lawn,
but this year 1 bag of the 17.24 pound "Super" Turf Builder, from the
hardware store was enough??

Possibly, you didn't use the setting that you thought you did with the
fertilizer from Home Depot.

Or the fertilizer from the unnamed hardware store had the same size
granules, but a higher moisture content, either due to manufacturing, or
more likely, exposure after leaving the factory. Wetter granules of a
given size would flow considerably slower through your spreader.

--
Tony Sivori