Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please help identify my shrub

"Sue" wrote in message
o.uk...

"sue_marie" wrote in message

Am now having doubts about it being evergreen but there are definitely
no thorns, and definitely no scent. The flowers have dropped off and I
can't see any fruit buds. However, the googlepics for Chaenomeles are
very very much like my shrub. Sorry for the poor quality pic - had to
take them on my phone because the card reader for my camera is
knacked.

Whatever it is, it's a pretty shrub. How about Chaenomeles "O Yashima"?
That's described as a taller growing, double white one with fairly large
showy flowers and there may be other similar varieties. Here's one
nursery link, albeit in US, with a pic of the flower:
http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin...al=Chaenomeles

Makes sense that it's a Chaenomeles. I don't know if "O Yashima" is
thornless or not, but there are several varieties listed which are thornless
or nearly so. Add to that double flowers, which are frequently sterile, and
that would account for the absence of any fruit.

--

Jeff