Old 10-06-2010, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default What in the hell is eating my chilli plant seedlings?

In article ,
gjclayton wrote:

I currently live in Victoria, on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I have
just started, or rather well on the way to having, a good garden on the
go.

Managed to get toms to start, peas, beans, corn, zucchini, cabbage etc.
It's looking promising.

I have two questions. Some of the plants in the garden have started to
be eaten. The swiss chard and beans in particular. They have small holes
over the leaves but I am unable to see any evidence of slugs or snails.
There are quite a few woodlouse hanging around. Could this be the issue?
I can't actually see anything eating them and things like the cabbage
and some (some!?) of the sunflowers have remained unscathed. The peas
are also fine.

Any ideas what this could be?

Secondly, I have always grown chillis from seed in the house then had
them growin in window boxes in the past (I am originally from the UK and
they did fine in London!).

I have now started to grow them here, but they get going and then
something chops the tops off the seedlings! I did have aphids in the
house on some house plants but I am dealing with these now.

Again, I can't see the culprit but I put them outside this morning in
order to get them some good sun and they were fine. A couple of hours
later and one of the seedlings has lost its top and the other has a half
eaten leaf!

What is it!?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

GJCLAYTON

If it's slugs or snails, there should be a shiny trail of slime where
they have been. If it is possible that it is gastropods, get non-toxic
snail bail that contains iron-phosphate (ferric-phosphate).
--
- Billy