Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default No tomatoes

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Just one small tomato and one plant that looks like it has some
"buds", many flowers still. My gardening neighbor has many fruits on
his. We have some of the same varieties.

That makes me wonder why, and what I might change.

Here is where we differ. He gets an extra few hours of direct
sunlight. Mine probably get more even watering (drippers) and have
gotten some fish emulsion fertilizer. He has many more pollinators. My
yard is cooler than his, so it's not that the temps are too high
(although that may be on the way!).

I've heard some anecdotal talk that high N and watering can suppress
fruiting. I have seen plants in terrible shape that have lots of fruit,
so it seems that stress helps set fruit. I would think the N would have
more to do with smaller or fewer fruit, not none.

So, I think I should hold off on the Fish Oil and shake the plants,
but should I do anything else?

Cukes are looking good though, and I've got squash on the way. I've
been the go between with the flowers.

Jeff

I'd hazard a guess the placing of all your eggs in one basket may
matter. By this I mean if you had 30 plants you may cull some of them
for looking like they want to be culled. Small numbers of plants can
yield false data as the plant is just one of a distribution of Y.
Some Die most OK some unbelievable

upside down U graphic here.

Musing

--