Old 12-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Steve Kind Steve Kind is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Baker View Post
As the guys above have said I would try to avoid cutting the heavier roots, as you are more than likely going to damage the whole tree. There is a right time of year to move plants and if you have ever seen people that sell larger trees it might be worth giving a tree plantation person to see if they can help.
Thanks once more for all the advice - sorry I never posted photos - but it required a major clear up to get meaningful shots!!! - I've talked to a tree surgeon now and come up with a solution.

The flagged patio area cover less than 50% of the root area of the tree - and the trunk itself is 3 feet away from the flags. I'm going to lift the flags closest to the tree and replace them with a slightly raise decking area - which will give the roots in that area more freedom. The rest of the flags are going to be lifted, 3 inches of builders sand added and the flags re-laid without cutting any roots.

As more than 50 % of the roots run away from the patio under either my garden or higher ground to the south west on a neighbouring property I'm hoping for the best!!

Thanks again

Steve