Old 12-06-2010, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default flower or weed

On 6/12/2010 2:11 AM, Billy wrote:
In t,
"David E. wrote:

On 6/11/10 6:11 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:48:37 -0400, Frank
wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

The foliage looks like yarrow. The flowers looks too big, more
fleabane size, but that could be the angle. My bet is on yarrow.

If so, Achillea millefolium is a wonderful plant. It was said that
Achilles was dipped in yarrow but held by his heel, so that was the
only part of his body that wasn't protected.

Yarrow is amazing at stopping bleeding. I introduced it to my diabetic
neighbor. Chew on a leaf and apply it to a bleeding wound and voila,
the bleeding stops. Great to have in a garden, although some folks
might not like that it spreads.

I just wish I could make mine spread. I killed one by planting it in the
ground. If you were to grow only one medical plant, this is the one that
I would choose.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....ea+millefolium

Tough luck Billy. It's growing free on a bank recently denuded of
winter damaged white pines.

Thanks to you and others for identifying. My wife likes it and so far
the deer haven't eaten it, so it is a welcome addition to our home.