Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Dave

Default frequency of water changes

Ross Vandegrift empowered the members of
with this mighty blow against
the Patriarchy:

In article , Dave wrote:
Something I've observed recently, and am looking for comments ....

I do water changes on all of my three (about to be four ;-) tanks
once a week. In general the fish always seem to be a bit perkier
after doing the water change, with the exception of my planted tank,
where their behavior seems to indicate that they prefer a longer time
between water changes (a few times, I've missed the weekly schedule).
Possibly just due to the species of fish, or something about the
fact that it's a planted tank?

Could it just be those fish get scared easier? Water changes are
probably traumatic for those little buggers - I know my fish seem to
freak out when I vacuuming out the tank gunk. They're swimming all
over, running from my hand (except my betta who comes to check out
what I'm doing ::-). But once it's all done and the water settles
down, they're all happy again.

They don't seem to mind the siphon tube moving around, etc. ... they
actually chase after and peck at it.