#35   Report Post  
Old 12-06-2010, 05:40 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digmeup View Post
I have never dealt with this company

So there you go...

Teak garden furniture.

Some people sell grade a, some people sell grade b, and some people sell grade c, and some people sell various grades.

Some people sell treated furniture, some people sell untreated furniture, and some people sell both treated and untreated furniture.

Some people buy garden furniture having researched and knowing what they are buying, and some people buy garden furniture having done no research whatsoever and therefore have not a clue what they have ordered.

They then moan because they have not got what they expected, even though they did not have a clue what they were ordering in the first place.

In this country we moan a lot, we have got it down to a fine art..if we are not collectively miserable then life is unfair...this is not to say however that we are always wrong, because we aren't.

Much teak furniture is untreated, because for every buyer who says wow...that finish is just what I wanted, there's one buyer who wanted it just as nature intended...

It's a bit of a pain to 'untreat' wood, so easier to leave it raw and up to the buyer whatever finish floats their boat...

How many people can tell the difference between heartwood and acid treated teak.

In my experience most people go by the looks alone...if it fits their predetermined idea of 'nice' then it doesn't matter whether it's untreated grade b, or acid treated grade c.

Much as in the way many people are mugged off into paying top dollar for designer labels which are churned out in some sweaty far eastern workhouse...

Going back to furniture...

The difference on most occasions is a lot more money and a bit of acid, stick a label on saying John Lewis and suddenly oh wow, apparently it's fantastic...

Wessex teak don't use acid, neither do they have any alluring labels...They sell furniture, at a cut price to you.

If it's cheaper than most others, it's because they have less overheads, and fewer staff, doing more work. (One of my weeks work would have most sane people crying for their mummy).

anyway, I've said enough.

Ray.