Old 13-06-2010, 04:52 AM
craftsmaster's Avatar
craftsmaster craftsmaster is offline
Registered User

Location: Gold Coast Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I know virtually nothing about gardening. However, I would like to grow
small amounts of chives, basic, dill, rosemary etc. for cooking
purposes. I have a small apartment with a balcony and a good amount of
sun.
Are there any good websites that explain how to start this?
Should I get a kit (please recommend one), individual packets of seeds,
or plant existing small plants to start off? What type of soil, etc.
Besides watering, what else do I need to do to care for the plants.
Also, I often go away on business trips, can someone recommend an
automatic watering system that works well.
Something I can fill up with water and operates on batteries (I don't
have a hose outlet near my balcony).
Looking for advice.
Thanks
Hi,

I'd love to share with you my experience with herb gardening. Maybe I should start by asking a few questions.

1. How large of a space do you have for your garden?
2. How much sun does it get?
3. What growing zone are you in?
4. How are you planning to spend time in your garden? How do you intend to use your garden?
5. What type of soil do you have?

Cheers,
Carmel