Old 13-06-2010, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default natural Groundcover

Tony wrote:
Fran wrote:
English Ivy will grow and smother trees in east TN. My parent

Hmm. I have some my mom planted on a steep hill and she also
made up
some nice big flower pots and the English Ivy found its way in
nearby crack between the walk and the slab the house is on.
The
stuff she planted on a hill could get out of control one day
when I'm
not looking, should I kill it all while I can?

is it growing on trees or the house?

if not, i'd leave it alone, killing it off
would mean possible soil erosion problems
on the hillside, weeds getting established,
etc.

if you want to try other plants there
clear an area and plant them and see
if they can manage the soil/location.
if they fight it out with the ivy and win
i'd say you're replacing one problem
with another. get my drift?

i.e. why fix what isn't broken unless
you have other goals for that area?