Old 13-06-2010, 05:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Gypsum for clay soil

On 7 June, 14:48, "spamlet" wrote:
"Chris J Dixon" wrote in messagenews:009p061f4aaf3f8kut728pv6q66ataa0fp@4ax .com...

Having just extended a flower bed to incorporate what has been
lawn for 40 years, I am left with some pretty solid clay soil.

Gypsum is recommended as a soil improver, but appears to be sold
in garden centres as a proprietary product costing nearly �5 for
2.5 kg.

http://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/clay...itioner-p-6321....

On the other hand, I can pick up a 25 kg bag of multi-finish
plaster for under �5, and AFAIK this is essentially the same
material.

Any reasons not to go with plaster?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon �Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Interesting how gypsum comes out of nasty thick clay pits, yet we put it
back in as a clay improver?

S- Hide quoted text -

Most gypsum come from scrubbers fitted to coal burning power
stations. The sulphur dioxide converts limestone to calcium
sulphate. The best permanent clay improver is "sharp" sand. The
difficult bit is mixing it thoroughly with the clay. Even a
rotovator is not very good as it only churns up the top layer. It's
taken me three years to get it mixed with hand digging but the results
are good. Compost is the way to go too.
Get yourself a shredder if you have a big hedge. If you know a
landscape gardener, you get get truck loads of shreddings off them for
free. They compost down very quickly if there's lots of leaf. ie
Summer time is the best.