Old 13-06-2010, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default Connecting Waterbutt Tap - How ?

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:

"DS" wrote in message
news:f8udneRbfKxxhIjRnZ2dnUVZ8oydnZ2d@giganews. com...
I want to replace a waterbutt tap on a Sankey standard butt which is
about
3ft tall. How can I reach inside the butt to connect the nut ?

In past years I have laid on the grass with the WB horizontal and got
in
it that way. Although clean it still stank, and as I am also
claustrophobic I don't want to do this again. Once I surprised myself
by
stretching my arm from above down into the WB to apply the nut, but it
was
very difficult to do.

Is their some magic gadget to attach to the plastic nut so it can be
connected up with less effort ?

This must be a problem for many people.

Only those with claustrophobia and short arms. :-)

You dangle a grandchild in the water butt by his ankles.

LOL

It's best done when the butt is in the dry. Fettle a long-handled
spanner that is a snug fit on the nut and you can keep your head
outside. It has to be a really snug fit so that the nut won't fall out
so perhaps a slot cut into a piece of wood or mole grips taped to a a
stick. I once had to tighten up a nut to stop a tap leaking when it
was accidentaly knocked and loosened by the fencing contractors and
managed to do it with a shortish spanner and a wet arm.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk

Sorry I don't know what's happened to my original reply.

Anyway - good reply Phil.

Bill