Old 13-06-2010, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default First Harvest!

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

If you grow chives and rhubarb you can harvest them earlier than this. I
also harvested a few beetroots that had survived the winter earlier in
the year, and some leaves from last year's chard.

I was forgettnig the rhubarb, we've been picking that for a while, but
stopped a couple of weeks ago as it was starting to look a bit sad.

I pulled all of last year's beetroots which we forgot to harvest last year,
and have now gone to seed and threw them to the chickens - they had an
absolute field day with them, although they've only munched through the
leaves not the actual root (not too unexpected, I guess)

If a Dandelion diet makes yolks super-yellow, I wonder what beetroot will do
to them? ;-)