Old 14-06-2010, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default monocots IDs

Bob wrote:

Looks exactly like our Iris siberica.

I agree - Iris sibirica has 'escaped' on many occasions and is quite
widely naturalised.

The orchid could be D. praetermissa, but based upon what I can see
from the pic it would appear that the lateral ss are proportionately
longer than the typical sp. and thrust forward and down rather than
being upswept. The loose 'hood' of lateral petals and dorsal sepals
is also rather too 'loose' compared to many of the marsh orchids I've
seen. I'm more inclined to think this may be a hybrid, with the
fragrant orchid - Gymnadenia conopsea somewhere in its background.
The so-called 'spotted orchids' are confusing, largely because they
are so promiscuous and readily hybridise with other species and
genera. 1st generations are easier to identify, but when 2nd and 3rd
gens. arise the difference become very subtle indeed. Worse still if
they stabilise at that stage giving the impression that there is a
'new', undiscovered species.