Old 14-06-2010, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default First Harvest!

PtePike wrote:
I have been picking alpine strawbs for a couple of weeks now but are small,
5p coin size.
They kept their foiliage all through winter along with many flowers, should
I have maintained them? I thought about nipping here and there but decided
not to.
I grew them from seed and they are Mignonette, have you any advice for me
please.

None at all, really, I'm afraid. I grew mine a bit by accident about 6
years ago, in a big pot, and they've kept going ever since. Mine stayed
leafy and with a couple of flowers, too, but they don't seem to have
suffered from it.

5p size isn't that bad, really. They /are/ alpine strawberries, they are
meant to be small. I think mine are a little bigger than 5p size (well, 5p
on the main bit, but a bit elongated), but not much. Noticed another
handful have ripened since yesterday!

I don't actually like them, they're just there for the kids to go rooting
through when they remember. :-)

Oh, one thing to note - vine weevil seem to really enjoy them, so watch out
for vine weevil grubs,a nd don't d othe silly thing that I did before they
went in the pot, which was to plant them under a grape vine!