Old 14-06-2010, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default artichokes looming crisis

Gill Smith wrote:
planted in May, they're about 2 feet high

if present trends continue, they'll be 500 miles high by 2050

help

I'm guessing you mean jerusalem artichokes, not globe?
In which case, you just let them grow.

what do I do? pinch out the tips or something?

Nope. Mine regularly got to over 7'. They did better than the sunflower.
Less spectacular flowers, though. (they are sunflower family, iirc, so it's
not all that surprising)

The kids made a den in the artichoke bed (which wasn't meant to be an
artichoke bed!) last year. I think they're going to be disappointed this
year as they won't be allowed to play in the corn.

anyway, which bit of artichokes do you eat?

Tubers. You dig them up in the autumn.