Old 14-06-2010, 03:51 PM
*Mechanic* *Mechanic* is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
*Mechanic* wrote:

With everything aasembled as it should be, take the petrol tank cap off
and wrap your hands around the neck of the tank where the cap screws on.
Place your cheeks on to your hands to form a seal and blow as hard as
you can in to the petrol tank. This will pressurise the fuel system and
"should" dislodge any blockage.

That is just plain bad advice and won't do any good at all. If it's a
float/needle style carb then you'd have to be able to blow over 7lb of
pressure to get anymore fuel in the bowl and I can't see how that's
going to dislodge any blockage in a jet since the float bowl is vented.

--
Art
Sorry Art, I didnt realise that this type of problem (or indeed this users exact problem) was exclusive to a needle jet blockage!!!!!!! At this time of year I would estimate that only approx 80% of these problem are down to old, stale / congealed fuel as opposed to a piece of dirt lodged in the jet.... and this IS a tried and tested method of both mine and many other operators who are using a machine for the first time after a winter of neglect despite your technical master class on the reasons why it wont!

If this should fail however, just spray some choke / carb cleaner in to the carb via the air filter housinig (with the choke open or in the normal run position on your throttle control) quickly pull back the throttle control to the choke position and start the engine. If the engine keeps running after it has burnt off the carb cleaner then you should have solved your problem. If it quickly dies however, then as Art so helpfully states, you have a blockage in the needle jet which will require the carb stripping and cleaning.