Old 15-06-2010, 01:35 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billit View Post
to all and sundry I apologise for causing so much upset to so many of my fellow gardeners but without going into detail perhaps if you knew the cicamstances you would be a little more understanding.
Erica arborea is one plant known as tree heath, I believe it is what I saw as trees in Ethiopia, growing among the tree-sized St John's wort, in the Simien mountains. Erica lusitanica is also sometimes called tree heath here too.

I was under the impression that E arborea was widely available. I've certainly purchased plants of that label in packs of 6 random heathers from ordinary places without really trying. But they've never grown to any size for me, they remain low little shrubs, utterly unlike the trees I saw in Ethiopia. I also have an E lusitanica, which has periodically lost branches in relation to building works, which has knocked it back a bit. But given the rate at which it grows, I don't think it was ever going to get very big for me.