Old 15-06-2010, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PtePike[_3_] PtePike[_3_] is offline

Default Broken heart

wrote in
:

PtePike wrote:
Well we have come to a compromise this morning.
Not ideal but things dont always turn out gold.

Glad you've come to an arrangement. You never know, the council
gardeneners may fix you up better than you were! (I know, it won't be
the same as you didn't do it with your own hands, but it makes the
next year so much easier a starting point!)

If you speak to other plotholders, you may find people with spare
plants they are willing to donate (especially when they hear of what
happened) - they tend, in general, to be a friendly bunch. If you
were near me I could give you a whole field full of spare tomatoes and
potatoes.

Also! Try B+Q, we picked up 8 packets of cabbage plants for 10p a
strip this weekend! They also had mixed salad and endives. Other
garden centres, etc will be getting rid of their unsold stock at this
time of year. It's a great time to pick up bargains when you forget
to sow your own or you are hit by a late frost or other disaster!

Thank you, yes its a very exciting time when things are wholesalely cheap
and thats what we did at lunch time. Its almost pleasurable.

We grew everything from seed though, apart from potatoes, and that is the
thing I/we enjoy most....from seed to kitchen even rhubarb and alpine
strawberries.

Ironically I responded to a post a couple of days ago about sowing potatoes
late in the season, saying how a friend managed to overcome. Well sadly I
can't find any seed potatoes and they are my love.

Being positive, maybe this will give us here some breathing space to
actually plan, instead of blindly dig sow dig sow, and some more digging.

It was a long winter last year looking at seed catalogues.

Good job the garden at home is a veg garden! and we can drool over the
forthcomming harvest.

Its the kids I feel for with their little plots we gave them to experiment,
but other tennants are helping with that, and I didnt have to ask.

All in all I think a positive has come from a BIG negative, but we will see
what happens.

Thanks again
PtePike