Old 16-06-2010, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_2_] Broadback[_2_] is offline

Default Tree pruning (baby oak)

Mike Lyle wrote:
wrote:
In ,
wrote:
Joe Shmoe wrote:

I moved into a house where the garden had laid untouched for
20years. After clearing away all the brambles I am left with a fine
specimen of a baby oak. I'm not sure how old it is, but the trunk
is apprx 6ft tall, with the upper branches taking it to almost 10ft
or so.

I'm not sure if I need to do pruning in order to encourage correct
growth - some of the upper branches are 6ft long, almost totally
horizontal, and Im scared that as they get bigger, they will be
unable to support their own weight.

Can anyone advise on how/if I should prune any of these branches ?

Generally Oaks are not pruned. However in days of yore they were, the
lower branches were removed to encourage a long straight trunk,
otherwise no mast and no sailing ships!

Er, no. Firstly, oak was never or almost never used for masts and,
secondly, it is one of the species that was coppiced (not as often
as some others, true).

Oaks can be pruned at most times of year, but probably not too hard
in the summer. However, removing or shortening branches is fine.
As you say, that is not usually done, but it can be.

I don't like the idea, personally. But does the OP really /want/ an oak
tree in his garden? Or, to put it another way, is the garden big enough
for the tree's eventual size?

If he lives in or near North Staffordshire a trip up Whitmoor Road
(known locally as Dog Kennel Lane) he might change his mind about
keeping it, though he will not be alive by the time it gets that big!