Old 16-06-2010, 05:25 PM
lousund lousund is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mechanic* View Post
Hi there,

Unfortunately they dont build them like they used to!!! You'd be better off finding a (restored) ransomes ajax or similar as there are people out there that recondition these old mowers but they are getting thin on the ground these days. All of the modern build Hand Opperated Mowers are 5 Blade Cutting Cylinder to have a wider opening between blades to cope with longer grass but will leave a worse finish on a lower cut then a higher populated cutting unit. You will also stuggle to find anything larger than 15" / 38cm cutting width as anything larger than this would make the mower almost immovable!

One of the best hand mowers on the market these days in my opinion is the AL-KO due to its german build quality and ease of use but similar to the brill, it will struggle to go below 14mm.... see following link

AL-KO 38HM Soft Touch - 15" Hand Push Cylinder Mower - Lawnmower World
hi *mechanic*, the al-ko looks a splendid bit of kit which i may put on my shopping list. i have been watching the ransomes on e-bay and the restored machines look as good as new. the only thing putting me off is the heavy roller at the back. but with it having more blades it tick more boxes than the newer more modern push mowers. decisions, decisions.....!