Old 16-06-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default monocots IDs

Youall would seem to have resolved this one. Thanks.

I'm used to seeing Iris siberica in dense clumps in gardens, so I hadn't
considered it. Stace says that the stems are hollow, and the bracts are
brown and papery when in flower, so I can check these features out if I
have the opportunity.

I've now found another Iris, by another canal. Is this Iris spuria?

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Iris155.jpg

Look to me like Iris laevigata.

I also found a lily that appears to have escaped into the wildish. It's
growing in a riverside corridor through a park, but that corridor shows
now evidence of recent cultivation. (The lime trees might have been
planted many years ago.)

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Lilium64.jpg

Lilium pyrenaicum?

Could well be.