Old 16-06-2010, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L.[_2_] Dan L.[_2_] is offline

Default Damage plants to increase yield

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

At first casual glance I was taken aback. But then I thought of two
common gardening techniques.

1) Pruning

Pruning, in this group, would be to insure that all the fruit the plant
sets, will ripen
2) Thinning

Thinning gives a single plant the maximum of nutrition and sunlight. It
must be admitted, though, it salutatory effect on the plants that are
thinned, is much less.
3) Setting Plants on Fire
Setting fire to your manzanita plants, occassionally, is helpful to
their proliferation, but isn't generally considered beneficial to other
plants. This technique is especially effective in coastal canyons. ;O)
4) ????

Hmmm... Looking for a single word ?

3) Burning ?
4) Pinching (Deflowering) ?