Old 18-06-2010, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Gardening Green (How to become an Organic Genius!)

On Jun 17, 12:24*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
*"Suzanne D." wrote:

"garden guy" wrote in message
And i have no idea
what tomatoe to plant in Utah because I've never lived there in a dry
climate. But I would recommend the celebrity tomatoes

I jus planted a half a dozen slicer varieties, and the Celebrities are
the
only ones who seem to be doing badly. *They wilt every single day and
need
lots of extra attention. *That's probably why they are called Celebrity.

I couldn't really tell you that much about other than the
seed needs to go in rich soil and have plenty of water and sunlight.

Wow, that's great advice! *Thanks! *I'll try that!
--S.

Who would have thunk it was so easy, huh?
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito

Well sorry that your celebrity's are going bad but I live in a humid
climate and I water them everyday, but about my potatoes they have
holes in them from pesty insects. I need help. Do I put that insect
dust on them??

Apparently I missed the part about east South Dakota, but the rest of
the query stands.

Could you describe the insect, or post a picture of it, and the damage
on the web? Is this leaf damage, or in the tuber? What is the extent of
the damage 5%, 90%, worse?

Where do you live? What kind of soil do you have, how are the potatoes
watered, and how wet is the ground around the potatoes?

I wouldn't advise the use of any insecticide, at least until the problem
is identified. Even then there are environmental concerns to be
considered. Many insecticides affect humans (organophosphates),
pollinating insects, soil ecology, and water quality. Since you are
trying to be an organic gardener, I suggest that we look at "Integrated
Pest Management", once the problem is defined.

Usually planning ahead will avoid most problems that might arise, and
sometimes, through no fault of our own, part of our crop is lost. We
call it tuition;O)
--
- Billy
- Billy