Old 20-04-2003, 06:11 AM
KEITH JENNINGS

Default Question for experts - algae and freshwater shrimp

I recently heard that some varieties of freshwater shrimp eat algae. Do any
of them eat black hair algae ? Any other suggestions to control black hair
algae if shrimp would be unsuitable for my tank ??

I would like to get control of the algae without resorting to chemicals that
might hurt my fish or plants. I have the bottom 2/3 planted , some driftwood
, a few small piles of rocks for cover , and small shy fish ( neons ,
apistos, rams , etc. )

Tank conditions : pH = 6.7 , total hardness = 90 ppm , ammonia and
nitrite below 1/2 ppm , nitrate 30 to 50 ppm ( high , but working on it )
, no CO2 added , aquarium fertilizer used as recommended , 70 watts
fluorescent lights , 40 gal. "breeder" tank ( 14 deep X 18 wide X 36
inches long ) temp 80 F

Thanks in advance ;
Keith J.