Old 20-06-2010, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tony Tony is offline

Default The curse of BER

Jeff Thies wrote:

Found this uber technical bit on BER:

http://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/95/4/571

Any comments on eggshells? I've got a lot ground up in my soil. It
would seem the calcium release would be slow, probably too slow.

Jeff

You are correct. Eggshell as a way to increase calcium level will work
- next year or the year after. Chalk dust, or even a ground-up
Tums will allow the elemental calcium to get to the plant quicker. And
remember, BER is 1/2 about calcium level, 1/2 about even availability of
water. A good mulch layer is as important as the calcium.

Tony M.