Old 20-06-2010, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nelly Wensdow[_2_] Nelly Wensdow[_2_] is offline

Default The curse of BER

"Bill who putters" wrote
I've sort of gleaned from "Teaming with Microbes" a Billy heads up
that my soil favors fungi and the bacteria are trying to obtain a
balance of sort. ( Poor humanoid attempt to understand life) .
Just in the last two days small 1/8 inch round fungi brown and Red
appears on my wood chips and on my raised bed. I smashed the red for no
other reason As I equate it with poison.

Nah, go for the brown ones. Some common brown wood-rotting mushrooms are
deadly poisonous, but I can't think of a single red one. But are you saying
a fungus that's growing on wood is also growing in the soil of your garden
bed? Are there wood chips there or is there a lot of wood content in the
soil? Wood-rotting fungi never grow on anything but wood. Either way, what
you may actually have is a slime mold. Some of them will climb over just
about anything in the yard.