Old 20-06-2010, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default The curse of BER

In article ,
"Nelly Wensdow" wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote
I've sort of gleaned from "Teaming with Microbes" a Billy heads up
that my soil favors fungi and the bacteria are trying to obtain a
balance of sort. ( Poor humanoid attempt to understand life) .
Just in the last two days small 1/8 inch round fungi brown and Red
appears on my wood chips and on my raised bed. I smashed the red for no
other reason As I equate it with poison.

Nah, go for the brown ones. Some common brown wood-rotting mushrooms are
deadly poisonous, but I can't think of a single red one. But are you saying
a fungus that's growing on wood is also growing in the soil of your garden
bed?

Small area about 1 foot square.

Are there wood chips there or is there a lot of wood content in the
soil?

No chips but rotten wood chips turned into soil about 5 years old.

Wood-rotting fungi never grow on anything but wood.

Good news!

Either way, what
you may actually have is a slime mold. Some of them will climb over just
about anything in the yard.

Don't know but found this URL below .

PS

I live in a place that has a high water table currenty 13 feet below
the surface and we have a dew point of 70 F. today.

http://people.wku.edu/charles.smith/biogeog/BISB1943.htm

"DISTRIBUTION OF FUNGI PARASITIC ON CROP PLANTS
****It is scarcely necessary to discuss in detail the distribution of
crop diseases. Maps are now being published (24) showing the range of
many. Man has been very active in assisting nature; for example,
asparagus rust was enabled to establish itself from New Jersey to
California in five years.
****A few pathogens are worthy of mention because they seem to
illustrate principles. Puccinia Antirrhini, the rust of snapdragons, is
native to a few wild Scrophulariaceae in the mountains of California.
Soon after Antirrhinum majus was introduced there it was attacked and
proved to be a very congenial host; the rust spread on snapdragons
throughout the United States and Canada, and now occurs over much of
Europe and in Egypt, Palestine and South Africa.
****The original host of Synchytrium endobioticum, the cause of wart
disease of potatoes, is not known. Potatoes were in general culture in
Europe for about 150 years (35) before the fungus was described on them
in 1896. It then spread over northern Europe and reached Newfoundland
and South Africa, but its late start permitted prevention of its spread
over North America.
****Spongospora subterranea, another parasite of the potato, has been
known for a century. It has spread far. Considerable alarm was felt in
North America after it was first found in Canada in 1913, but subsequent
experience demonstrated that climate almost limits it to cool regions
such as those near the United States-Canada boundary in the east and
west. The fungus seems to be unimportant, except perhaps at high
altitudes, in Asia, Africa and South America. Possibly a consideration
of the effect of climate on this and other pathogenic fungi would permit
some modification of the elaborate quarantine and inspection regulations
imposed by most [[p. 480]] countries. Unfortunately, we do not yet know
how much faith to place in climate. Can we be sure that Claviceps
purpurea will not develop in the tropics, and only in Algeria and
Morocco in Africa?
****Cronartium ribicola has now spread over most north temperate regions
where its hosts grow, Ribes and five-needle pines in association. The
same is true of many another parasite of economic plants.

*********In other words, the host is of primary importance in
dissemination of parasites. It would be hard to stop nature and man in
their efforts to spread pathogens, were it not that climatic and other
factors are also important, and may hinder as well as favor
spread."*********

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?