Old 20-06-2010, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Dry Gardening

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:10:45 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote ...
"Dave Hill" wrote.
How do we conserve soil moisture?
Mulches are OK, but in this hot dry weather water well so that the
water goes down below the root level so the roots follow it down, then
hoe the soil to break the capilary action that would cause the water
to syphon out again.
If you keep the soil surface hoed you will not only get rid of weeds
butwill preserve most of the moisture.
When sowing seed take out the drill, soak it well then sow the seed,
rake over the soil, firm it well with the back of the rake then rake
a little more soil over it lightly.
With large seed such as pear and beans soak overnight before
planting.
When planting out try to do so in the evening then puddle the plants
in, just watering around the plant and not all the soil between the
plants, loosen the surface after watering.
If you water in the evening then the plants have all night to take in
water before the heat starts to dry things up.

What heat are you talking about? It's so cold here today I was thinking
about lighting my woodburner.
What dry weather? It rains most days recently here in Leics.

Rain? What's that?

Quite.I am having to stretch right in and am about to fall in the
rain barrel next time I go to fill the watering can up!
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk