Old 20-06-2010, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default The curse of BER

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

How about just sticking some calcium tablets into the soil? I
don't
need
25
pounds of lime just for my few pots.

Paul

Well I'd guess that the calcium tablets about 6 oz. might cost
close
to 25 lb. of dolomite and the lime won't go bad.
Growing with containers looks like small mistakes in the garden are
focused or easier to make. I try to get stuff out of pots and into
the
ground then back into a pot if it is a houseplant late fall.

Hmmm ... how much dolomite should I add to a 22 inch pot with 2 cubic
feet
of soil? Or does it matter? I mean the plant will take it up as
needed.
Can you overdose?

Paul

Was this dirt, shoveled into pots, or did you use potting soil? If it
was potting soil, that won't be the problem. If it was dirt, then call
the local Master Gardener, or the UC Ag Extension near you, and ask
about local soil.
--

It is Sta-Green vegetable and flower planting mix. It has chunks of
white

Paul

Then I would say it was over watered, and the calcium was leached out.
Water when the soil is dry to the top inch.

I water daily because the plants suck up all the water during the day. They
are not overwatered. I water just until I see a little seapage from the
bottom of the pots. Big plants, warm and breezy days mean a lot of
transpiration.

Paul