Old 19-06-2010, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
anon-y-mouse anon-y-mouse is offline

Default How to treat Mint plants

The message
from "john hamilton" contains these words:

I've got some mint growing in pots. The leaves seem quite big now, so i'm
guessing now is a good time to cut them off?

My intention is to chop the leaves and put them in vinegar to make a mint
sauce. I'm guessing that malt vinegar diluted with 50% water should be
o.k.,
do you think, or is that too watery ?

Also I'm wondering if its ok to cut all the stalks down or not? I could
just pull the leaves off the stalks (since i'm only using the leaves) and
leave the stalks and then plants might recover some nutrition back from the
stalks? Grateful for any advice on the best way to do it. Thanks.

Wife pinches off the top inch or two and uses it for mint tea, which she
claims is very refreshing!.

Just briefly rinse the leaves and the bit of stalk, the put into mug,
add boiling water and there you are - hold you nose, close your eyes and
sip very gently vbg.

As others have said, it is very difficult to kill mint!

Roger T