Old 20-06-2010, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Failing Rhodos

On Jun 19, 6:46*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Bill Grey"wrote
A friend of mine is experiencing problems with her Rhododendrons. She
says it flowered very well, but now the leaves are dying and falling
off *and the branches have a sort of grey coating. *I haven't seen the
bush so *I can't eleborate on the grey coating - maybe it is a sort of
dusty *coating.

Any ideas about the problem please?

Could be "Sudden Oak Death" Phytophthora ramorum which actually infects
Rhodos etc and whilst it seldom kills them it does make them lose their
leaves, normally the oldest ones.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=329

Didn't realise it was still a notifiable disease.

I don't see any mention of a dusty, grey, coating among the symptoms
there. Isn't rhododendron powdery mildew a better bet?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

Yes.

Rod