Old 20-06-2010, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Turnips - how to store?

On 20/06/2010 19:04, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Derek Turner" wrote
David in Normandy wrote:
Any advice?

If they're what I think they are, I don't think you are /meant/ to store
them. Eat them young, fresh and freshly-dug. Madhur Jaffrey has a
wonderful recipe for a curry made with them and beef. ICBW but for
storing don't you need swedes ('Swedish turnips')? and I think you are
too far south to grow those.

Swedes are the "turnips" they use in Cornish Pasties ( together with
onion, potato and beef skirt) so as they grow so well in Cornwall I
would think they might do well in France too. I'd give them a go anyway
just to see.

I've got some swedes growing for the first time this year - in addition
to the little navet turnips. The tops are growing well, but I'll reserve
judgement until Autumn - I'm just hoping they don't get riddled with
worm holes - what causes all the little holes in things like radish and
turnips?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.