Old 20-06-2010, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
anon-y-mouse anon-y-mouse is offline

Default Turnips - how to store?

The message
from David in Normandy contains these words:

Swedes are the "turnips" they use in Cornish Pasties ( together with
onion, potato and beef skirt) so as they grow so well in Cornwall I
would think they might do well in France too. I'd give them a go anyway
just to see.

Ah, but they are the orangey flesh swedes in an oggie, (refered to as
neaps in Scotland - i believe).

I've got some swedes growing for the first time this year - in addition
to the little navet turnips. The tops are growing well, but I'll reserve
judgement until Autumn - I'm just hoping they don't get riddled with
worm holes - what causes all the little holes in things like radish and
turnips?

I believe that it is little slugs, I get them in carrots and potatoes
as well and you can sometimes find a little beastie curled up inside a
good sized spud!

Roger T