Old 20-06-2010, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Turnips - how to store?

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

Actually, no, in both cases. 'True' turnips were used in pasties
when available, and the Scottish term 'neeps' applies to both.
The term "swede" stands for "Swedish turnip", which were introduced
in the late 18th century (according to the OED). Regarding the
two as very separate is a modern English habit.

Didn't they come in as cattle fodder to start with? I seem to remember
Cobbett saying something about them.

Yes, but the turnips of Turnip Townshend were much older, and would
have been the ancestors of our 'true' turnips.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.