Old 21-06-2010, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L.[_2_] Dan L.[_2_] is offline

Default The curse of BER

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Paul M. Cook wrote:
"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

How about just sticking some calcium tablets into the soil? I
don't need 25
pounds of lime just for my few pots.

Paul

Well I'd guess that the calcium tablets about 6 oz. might cost
close to 25 lb. of dolomite and the lime won't go bad.
Growing with containers looks like small mistakes in the garden are
focused or easier to make. I try to get stuff out of pots and into
the ground then back into a pot if it is a houseplant late fall.

Hmmm ... how much dolomite should I add to a 22 inch pot with 2 cubic
feet of soil? Or does it matter? I mean the plant will take it up
as needed. Can you overdose?

Paul

You can overdose because dolomite will raise the pH, so it would be good to
know the pH before you start. For tomatoes you are looking for pH about 6
to 6.5 IIRC. I would try about half a cup. It isn't very soluble so it
will take a while to work.

David

Warning!!! - Dolomite can be very nasty stuff to handle. Use a
respirator mask! Not some simple dust mask! Dolomite can burn your soil
(and your lungs) if too much is applied. I suggest a non burning form of
agricultural lime. There are some forms of lime that are pelletized and
much much safer (mask may OR may not be needed) and easier to use.

However, I have never heard of anyone using dolomite for pots.
Like the person stated above, just use some calcium tables.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.