Old 21-06-2010, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J[_2_] Tom  J[_2_] is offline

Default The curse of BER

Dan L. wrote:
In article ,

Warning!!! - Dolomite can be very nasty stuff to handle. Use a
respirator mask! Not some simple dust mask! Dolomite can burn your
soil (and your lungs) if too much is applied.

I don't know where you get that information from, but I've used
dolomite limestone (ground up marble) since I was on the farm 65 years
ago. We got it by the dump truck load and used broadcast spreaders to
put it on the fields and nobody every had mask or gloves. Since
moving to smaller property some 40 years ago, I've been buying it by
the 100, then 50 & now 40 pound bag because that's the way it was/is
sold. What I get in the bags is pelletized, but what we got by the
truck load was not.

However, I have never heard of anyone using dolomite for pots.
Like the person stated above, just use some calcium tables.

I agree, I have never tried to grow anything but flowers in pots!! My
regular tomato vines are caged 6 foot high & the grape tomatoes are
hanging over a 6 foot high wall. They wouldn't last an hour in a pot.

Tom J