Old 21-06-2010, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default WEED? Please help

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
On 20/06/2010 23:21, kay wrote:
sue10137;891675 Wrote:
Yeah thanks so much for you help! I can now happily go pulling it all
out and have a much nicer garden!

You can't just pull it, you'll need to loosen soil around the roots and
get all the roots out. It spreads by creeping roots, which you'll find a
few inches down (it doesn't go enormously deep). (They have a rather
nice smell).

If there are no other nearby plants I'd be tempted to use glyphosate.
I've used it very successfully on ground elder. Much less hassle than
trying to dig out those deep roots.

As Kay says, they aren't deep. If there are no nearby plants, digging
it out is a pain but works better than glyphosate - so it's not often
a problem in vegetable plots. But it's virtually impossible to get out
from the roots of other plants, as the roots are very brittle.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.