Old 21-06-2010, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard[_8_] Richard[_8_] is offline

Default Electrical Plug & Socket for Garden Tools

On 21/06/2010 10:36, Richard wrote:
One day I simply cut the cables to my strimmer and hedge cutter with the
view to attach a plug to both. Now I've got around to attaching a plug.

I have at home an orange-coloured socket and I thought it might be used
by all garden tool manufacturers - a kind of univerally used socket.

Well, I notice that it's made by Black & Decker and I wonder if it's
Black & Decker's own product and not universally used by other
manufacturers. It's marked 844840.

I wonder if these plugs and sockets (Black & Decker) are still the norm.
Or obsolete.

I guess I can try to get two matching plugs for the socket I have.

Or, are we in a situation of needing to get a current (no pun intended)
or up-to-date plug and socket combination?

Is there a universally used plug and socket combination these days for
garden tools?

TIA.

Aah, It looks like, strictly-speaking, the following combination of
Black & Decker plug and sockets are obsolete, but that you can still get
them if you search around:

Power Coupler (Socket) 844840

Plug 885264

However I dont fancy spending over £6.00 for a mere socket.

Yet, if I get another combination, I'd have to but both plug and socket.

Anyone know what plug and socket combination I should get if I went and
discarded the now obsolete Black and Decker combination?