Old 21-06-2010, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J[_2_] Tom  J[_2_] is offline

Default The curse of BER

Boron Elgar wrote:

I have grown tomatoes (all sorts, hybrids, heirlooms, full size and
cherries) in pots for over 20 years. The seasons and my watering
habits and capabilities/attentions have varied greatly over that
time,
and I have had seasons of great bounty and seasons of minimal
harvest
due to yield or predation of various sorts.

Nevertheless, I have never, ever had BER, so don't go thinking it is
inevitable for pots or variable watering. T'aint so.

And yes, I have tomatoes growing in the ground, too, so it isn't too
difficult to draw comparisons. I never had BER there, either.

You seem to have a very neutral soil in your area. Lucky you!! My
base soil is very acid red clay, so it takes a lot of amending &
regular soil test to keep mine neutral.

Tom J