Old 21-06-2010, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default The curse of BER

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

I water daily because the plants suck up all the water during the day.
They are not overwatered. I water just until I see a little seapage
from
the bottom of the pots. Big plants, warm and breezy days mean a lot
of
transpiration.

You are using pots and you admit that these dry out daily. Either take
on
board the message the BER comes as a result of inconsistent watering,
which is what you are doing by using pots, or start planting your toms
in
the ground where they might have a fighting chance to avoid BER.

I guess I am finding it hard to believe that these plants require such a
delicate balance to thrive, or even do reasonably well.

Paul

Then again, the BER just might clear up on it's own.

At one point, IIRC, you said you had 6" or so of bark mulch in your
pots. If this is true for the tomatoes, you may want to pull it out and
replace all but the top inch with soil, which would increase the amount
of water you have available.

Last year I tried the bark mulch. Not this year, just straight Sta-Green.

Paul