Old 21-06-2010, 07:52 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,sci.bio.botany,alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default The Grass Is Greener When You Don't Mow.

Nehmo wrote:
-snip-

I realize the ordinances use the word “noxious”, but the word means
harmful. Harmful to what?

The 'natural' environment? [which, IMO includes mowed lawns]

And which plants are the ordinances
referring to? Actually, there is no list of noxious plants,

Sure there are--
http://plants.usda.gov/java/noxiousDriver

Both federal and state lists. And I'll bet some counties have lists.

-snip-
Birds would be better served if we didn't mow. In unmowed forest
preserves birds thrive. In any case, cutting grass is unnatural.

I'm with you on the anti-mowing crusade-- I've never understood
anyone's fascination with 'well manicured' grass. But some birds
[bluebirds, robins, doves . . . probably others] prefer short grass.

Jim