Old 21-06-2010, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default WEED? Please help

In article ,
echinosum wrote:
sue10137;891649 Wrote:
Hi
My garden is over run by this 6-8" high weed? Though I am not sure if it
is technically a weed?
Please help me to identify it.
Also can I kill it?

If your garden is overrun by ground elder, you will discover that there
are very large quantities of root in the soil. The actual plants are
actually surprisingly infrequent in comparison to the rhizome network.
Also the root will be well entangled with the root balls of other
plants, so getting rid of it all will be quite hard work. And, with a
lot of it, you will inevitably leave lots of root fragments behind,
which will all regrow. Also, if it has been allowed to flower in the
past, there's probably decades worth of seeds to germinate. ...

It very rarely sets viable seed in the UK - unlike stinging nettles,
which both spread into a network of underground stems and produce
lots of viable seed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.